SAN FRANCISCO: Mothers March To End Poverty, Criminalization, War and Occupation
Date: Tuesday, 8 March 2011 - 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: San Francisco, California, at 16th & Mission St (nr BART)
Invest in caring not killing!WOMEN, MEN, YOUNG, OLD, BRING YOUR CHILDREN, FRIENDS, DRUMS, DEMANDS!
We march because:
· Mothers produce/care for the world's people, while war & profit destroy us.
· Most women do caring work – mothers, grandmothers, daughters, partners. Unrecognized, unpaid or low paid we care for children, older people, people with disabilities, veterans, each other....
· In Haiti & Palestine, wherever there is an occupation, women do the survival work without which resistance would be impossible.
· Resources go to weapons & banks, not to caregivers, healthy food, accessible affordable housing, breast-feeding support, health care, education, living wages, pay equity, care of Mother Earth.
· Budget cuts increase hunger & threaten those of us on lowest incomes, starting with communities of color.
· Poverty, uncaring social services & immigration laws tear children from us.
· Sex workers & homeless people are jailed not supported. As in Oscar Grant shooting, police use our children as target practice. LGBTQ denied civil rights.
· We’re robbed of benefits, services & wages that our unwaged & low waged labor & taxes have paid for. We face eviction & foreclosures.
· Everywhere people are risking their lives to bring change – from Palestine to Egypt, from Haiti to Colombia, from the Philippines to Kenya & Nigeria …
Planning Group Bay Area: Haiti Action Committee; Legal Action for Women; USPROStitutes Collective; Wages Due Lesbians; Ruckus Society; Women of Color/GWS and individuals from the Bay Area and Santa Cruz
Co-ordinator of Global Women's Strike
In The Guardian: What we can learn from Tanzania’s hidden socialist history
More Guardian articles
Quoted in NY Times Op-Ed: Pay People to Cook at Home!
Other countries we work with (so far...)
USA Sun 1st Mar 15
Los Angeles March 7th: No to Austerity, Poverty, Prisons & War - A Living Wage for Mothers and other CaregiversUSA Fri 27th Feb 15
USA Fri 27th Feb 15
UK Wed 25th Feb 15
USA Thu 19th Feb 15
Join our mailing list!
Sojourner Truth Radio
Margaret Prescod on Sojourner Truth radio: KPFK in Los Angeles 7-8amPST Tues-Fri , WPFW in Washington DC 4-5pmEST Tues-Fri, WBAI in NYC 4-5pmEST, Mon-Thurs Website
News on US domestic & foreign policy. Cutting-edge interviews with women, people of color & others around the world.
Great article: Hunger for Justice
KPFK's Margaret Prescod named Best Radio Personality - 2012 by OC Weekly!