SAN FRANCISCO: Mothers March To End Poverty, Criminalization, War and Occupation
Date: Tuesday, 8 March 2011 - 4:30pm - 6:30pm
Location: San Francisco, California, at 16th & Mission St (nr BART)
Invest in caring not killing!WOMEN, MEN, YOUNG, OLD, BRING YOUR CHILDREN, FRIENDS, DRUMS, DEMANDS!
We march because:
· Mothers produce/care for the world's people, while war & profit destroy us.
· Most women do caring work – mothers, grandmothers, daughters, partners. Unrecognized, unpaid or low paid we care for children, older people, people with disabilities, veterans, each other....
· In Haiti & Palestine, wherever there is an occupation, women do the survival work without which resistance would be impossible.
· Resources go to weapons & banks, not to caregivers, healthy food, accessible affordable housing, breast-feeding support, health care, education, living wages, pay equity, care of Mother Earth.
· Budget cuts increase hunger & threaten those of us on lowest incomes, starting with communities of color.
· Poverty, uncaring social services & immigration laws tear children from us.
· Sex workers & homeless people are jailed not supported. As in Oscar Grant shooting, police use our children as target practice. LGBTQ denied civil rights.
· We’re robbed of benefits, services & wages that our unwaged & low waged labor & taxes have paid for. We face eviction & foreclosures.
· Everywhere people are risking their lives to bring change – from Palestine to Egypt, from Haiti to Colombia, from the Philippines to Kenya & Nigeria …
Planning Group Bay Area: Haiti Action Committee; Legal Action for Women; USPROStitutes Collective; Wages Due Lesbians; Ruckus Society; Women of Color/GWS and individuals from the Bay Area and Santa Cruz
Co-ordinator of Global Women's Strike
In The Guardian: What we can learn from Tanzania’s hidden socialist history
More Guardian articles
Quoted in NY Times Op-Ed: Pay People to Cook at Home!
Other countries we work with (so far...)
USA Tue 28th Apr 15
USA Tue 7th Apr 15
Fighting your case to win justice & build the movement: Philadelphia Workshop with Selma James and Nina LopezUSA Tue 7th Apr 15
Peru Tue 31st Mar 15
Join our mailing list!
Sojourner Truth Radio
Margaret Prescod on Sojourner Truth radio: KPFK in Los Angeles 7-8amPST Tues-Fri , WPFW in Washington DC 4-5pmEST Tues-Fri, WBAI in NYC 4-5pmEST, Mon-Thurs Website
News on US domestic & foreign policy. Cutting-edge interviews with women, people of color & others around the world.
Great article: Hunger for Justice
KPFK's Margaret Prescod named Best Radio Personality - 2012 by OC Weekly!