Men are joining the MOTHERS MARCH
For the survival of people & planet, against poverty and war
WISCONSIN: “Mainly women are being immediately affected. The administration made a calculation that the men would not support them. But now they know otherwise. There is plenty of money to fight wars just not to pay people decent wages. Keep fighting like Egyptians!” Sam, US trade-unionist at Wisconsin protests
Left TAHRIR SQUARE PLACARD: Egypt supports Wisconsin Workers. One World, One Pain.
· As so many of us are losing jobs, wages and benefits, we are joining with women to recover what continues to be stolen from us by government cuts, bank bailouts & military budgets. The Mothers March is the occasion to demand with our sisters that society and governments Invest in Caring Not Killing.
· The vital work of feeding, protecting and caring for families, neighbours, friends, colleagues – against great odds in a society that values the market over human life – is mostly done, unwaged, by our mothers, grandmothers, partners and friends, but increasingly by men as well.
· Thus more men are recognizing women’s caring work, including in support of our own struggles. Men’s organizing often starts in discussion around the kitchen table where mothers and partners advise us on how to face managers, unemployment, immigration authorities; how to escape conscription, or if we are soldiers, how to refuse to be murderers, rapists and torturers.
· Trade unions which claim to speak for workers at best only protect some of us at the waged workplace. Whether we are discriminated against by a landlord or cuts in education, whether women are raped, or whether a child is bullied or made homeless is rarely of concern to them.
· In this period when we are building a movement to oppose poverty & violence, it is vital we join with those who have shown they want to win for the whole community, whether we are men, women or children, whether we are in, Cairo, Gaza, London or Wisconsin!
Join those who care for all of us – Join the Mothers March!
Payday men’s network, working with the Global Women’s Strike Refusing to Kill is Not a Crime - Invest in Caring Not Killing!
London: +44 207 209 4751 Philadelphia: +1 215 848 1120 firstname.lastname@example.org www.refusingtokill.net
Co-ordinator of Global Women's Strike
Quoted in NY Times Op-Ed: Pay People to Cook at Home!
Speaking at The Life and Legacy of C.L.R. James Conference
In the Guardian: From welfare to wages, women fight back against the uncaring market
More Guardian articles
Listen to speak in Ireland: "How can women defeat austerity?"
Other countries we work with (so far...)
Sojourner Truth Radio
Margaret Prescod on Sojourner Truth Pacifica Radio, KPFK, Tuesdays.
News on US domestic & foreign policy. Cutting-edge interviews with women, people of color & others around the world.
KPFK's Margaret Prescod named Best Radio Personality - 2012 by OC Weekly!
Sojourner Truth website
USA Tue 18th Jun 13
UK Mon 10th Jun 13
Tue 28th May 13
UK Fri 24th May 13